This question among solo travelling ladies comes up often. Should I buy a caravan or a motorhome? It is all really a combination of a few factors and what is important to you.
Let’s take a look at some of the pro’s and con’s of each different camping style.
- You can unhitch your caravan at a camp site or caravan park and use your car for getting around and sight seeing.
- Price – More variety of caravans available at the lower end of your budget.
- If your car / tow vehicle breaks down, at least you can still stay in your caravan until repairs are done.
- You will be paying 2 registrations and 2 insurances
- Long parking spots are hard to find close to towns.
- Fuel consumption – you are towing a heavy box behind your car.
Motorhome or Campervan
- No need to unhitch. Just turn off your engine and you’re ready to camp.
- If you need to leave in a hurry, you can just jump in the driver’s seat and drive off.
- Taking up one space at the caravan park.
- Depending on the size of your motorhome, it’s easy to get on street parking.
- One Registration and One insurance.
- Limited mobility once you are setup. Unless you don’t mind packing up to venture into town.
- As you are essentially “buying a car with a house attached” they can get pricey for a decent one.
- If you break down and you need to get your van towed and repaired you have nowhere to sleep.
Already made a decision and are about to start shopping? Check out this Killer checklist for buying a motorhome or caravan we put together to help you remember all the things to check at your inspection